About > Company History
A group of Glasgow Licensed Taxi Operators formed an association back in the 1950’s. These individuals can rightly claim to have laid the foundations of a company who were then, and now, innovative, imaginative and bold.
Today Glasgow Taxis Ltd. carries on the same tradition to serve the publicwith the best means at our disposal.
From the days of the voice radio to the present G.P.S.-controlled dispatch system, Glasgow Taxis Ltd. continues this tradition.
“A table, 2 chairs, a telephone and a microphone.”
This was taken at the official opening of the T.O.A. Radio System early in 1958 by Lord Provost Andrew Kerr. Standing next to him is Mr. Brinkley, PYE Radio chairman, and Mr. D.S. Nellis. The telephonists? Unfortunately no one can remember them. Their names are lost in the mist of time.
The radio system operated with 78 cabs starting on 2nd September 1957. Two types of cab were in use in Glasgow at this time:
The Austin FX3, which was introduced in 1948, and remained in production until 1958.
- The other cab was the Morris Oxford, which is pictured below.
Due to the merger between the Austin and Morris companies, the Morris Oxford cab faded off the market. In this photo of the Morris Oxford cab, the owner Mr. Jack Craig, is standing beside it. Mr. Jack Craig latterly became the manager of the radio system.